I was on social media earlier and saw the link below (okay, I hope it is a link, but you may need to cut and paste) but so much on social media, online in general that we have new sins, well, not really new sins, just new, more advanced ways to sin.
It’s an interesting read, so I would recommend all take a couple minutes to read through the article. But, for those that just want the low down, here is the list and the scripture they quote for each:
- Indulgence: But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives. 1 Timothy 5:6 (NIV)
- Materialism: Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 1 John 2:15 )(NIV)
- Pride: 23 This is what the Lord says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom
or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches,
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 9:23-24 (NIV)
- Slander: Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 (NIV)
- Quarreling: It is to one’s honor to avoid strife,but every fool is quick to quarrel. Proverbs 20:3 (NIV)
- Vanity: 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Philipians 2:3-4 (NIV)
- Discontentment: I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. Philipians 4:11 (NIV)
- Hypocrisy: “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.” Matthew 23: (NIV)
- Hatred: 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:43-45(NIV)
- Jealousy: For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. James 3:16 (NIV)
I wish I could say I had never been guilty of any of them, but, some I have, some I have not. Some, I probably did and didn’t realize: Slander-calling someone a jerk or such, maybe true, maybe not. Quarreling? No, I haven’t really done that online, but boy have I had some try to draw me into an argument on social media. Jealousy, Yeah, but not to horrible extent, but possibly wishing I had the car, house, etc but not as bad as a lot. Some of the others, probably most to at least a small extent. Most of us probably are at least a little guilty of all of them and some are REALLY guilty of some but barely guilty of others. Yet, I wonder how many adapt an online persona that is different than their true selves. Some get very brash, hostile, aggressive, or any other way you would like to say, because the internet allows a certain amount of insulation from our actions and other times, anonymity. Even if we know a person not looking them in the eye or even speaking on the phone, our actions can be very different than in person. I have had some seriously attack me via text, chat, email, and such, but they are afraid to speak directly too me anywhere near the way they do when the conversation is electronic.
A lot of the ways, I would suspect most don’t initially think about some of the things listed as sinning. Some are subtle, and I can easily see myself thinking, well, it isn’t a real sin, since its online. But, as the author of that article points out, it is sinning to be sure. So many ways that it is far easier to sin than we realize.
Lord, I praise Your Holy Name, I ask that You help me avoid any of these sins, and other sins, forgive me any of my failures and I pray that those I have sinned against forgive me as I have forgiven any who have done me wrong. I pray in Jesus Name that You work in me and give me the help I need to better serve You. Please draw loved ones nearer to You and those that are sinning, show them their sins so they are convicted and find their way to forgiveness from You through Your Son Christ. Teach us all how to be the Christians that You wish for us to become.
Thanks for your time, I do suggest you read the article. Have a blessed day, and try to be a blessing to others.